Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Not Another March Madness Blog.

Today in class we talked about how we are all over-achievers and we are doing everything we possibly can in UC 256 to bank as many points as possible. Well I would have to say I fall into the over-achieving category. I've been occupying myself this month with reading the other group's blogs and writing thoughtful comments, and I've found that I've really enjoyed seeing everyone's perspectives and their unique links to the course materials.

However, I have some frustrations as well. Pretty much every other post that I see is about March Madness, or basketball, or sports. I am not a close follower of March Madness; sure, I rooted for Michigan while they were still in the tournament, and my mom is a Syracuse Alum so I've been cheering for them too, but without actually watching the games.

Here's my request: PLEASE stop blogging about March Madness and let's open up our horizons. I have no authority to speak for anyone, but I do know that not everyone is interested in sports! So many posts about March Madness is extremely limiting for those of us who are trying to get a good grade and write blog comments. I feel like I have nothing to say on the topic.

This whole process has become a bit of a game for myself. The objective of my blogging game is to find the posts that have nothing to do with sports. It's not as easy as you think.

I do apologize if my request is a little harsh, and yes, I realize it's ironic that I just wrote a whole blog post about sports when I'm advocating for the opposite. I'll leave you with this: there's a whole new world of games out there off the basketball court; let's explore them a little more before the course comes to a close!

3 comments:

  1. Sarah, I completely agree with your comment. I too care very little about sports and have nothing to comment on all of the march madness blogs. I have such little knowledge on the subject that I even feel a bit stupid that should I post a comment, it may come off as totally unintelligent! That being said, perhaps you should be sure you are looking at every blog. My guild, the Fantastic four, has not made one blog post on March Madness. In fact, very few of our posts are sports related! Maybe there you will find some opportunities to comment on blogs! I also have felt your frustration about blog commenting and my advice is to find posts you feel you can relate to. For example, I just commented on one about female avatars. Through finding similarities between myself and the piece I've been able to share my input, even when I am totally uneducated on the subject!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy- thanks so much for the advice! Funny story- I just commented on your blog post about being a Michigan fan about 5 seconds ago. Looks like my searching paid off! Happy blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah I would have to agree with Lucy. I often browse through each guild's blog posts and I do frequently see posts on March Madness but I very rarely read them because It is not my expertise. However, there are a lot of other very interesting posts out there. If you are looking for something other than March Madness posts maybe you should read my past two blog posts! One was on Facebook and I just wrote one about the Downfall of Diction. Hope you find them interesting!
    -Shannon Funsch

    ReplyDelete